I’m a Healthcare Professional – What Do I Need to Know?
Myocarditis Resources for Healthcare Professionals
At the Myocarditis Foundation, we aim to inspire care providers like you to learn more about myocarditis. As a rare form of heart disease, myocarditis often goes undetected or even misdiagnosed in patients of all ages. With the following resources, you can arm yourself with the heart disease education you need to provide informed, accurate care for your patients with myocarditis, giant cell myocarditis, pericarditis, and related conditions.
Myocarditis Education for Frontline Clinicians
We, at the Myocarditis Foundation, feel the need to share this extremely important information for you as frontline clinicians, whether you work in the Triage Area of an Emergency Room, a Pediatrician or Family Practice Office, your own Independent Practice, or just as a nursing professional looking for information on the disease.
If you’d like to obtain a certificate for one hour of Myocarditis Education from the Myocarditis Foundation, please complete the separate “Test for Nurses”, and email it to: [email protected]. Please be sure to clearly print your information on the test form and we will send you the certificate.
- Myocarditis Education (PDF, 332 KB)
- Myocarditis Education for Emergency Room Nurses
- Myocarditis: What It Is and How to Diagnose and Treat It
Browse Our Resources
As a care provider, there are seemingly endless factors that you must consider when diagnosing a patient. To help you gather the fast-facts about myocarditis, the Myocarditis Foundation has compiled resources on the following topics for you to explore:
- Myocarditis and Giant Cell Myocarditis: Learn about the symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment of both myocarditis and its variant, giant cell myocarditis.
Myocarditis and Giant Cell Myocarditis Brochure (PDF, 250 KB)
- Adult Myocarditis: Learn how to recognize and diagnose myocarditis in adults.
Adult Myocarditis: Recognition and Diagnosis (PDF, 265 KB)
- Pediatric Myocarditis: Familiarize yourself with the pediatric symptoms of myocarditis and other important information.
Pediatric Myocarditis Brochure (PDF, 285 KB)
- Myocarditis in Children (For Physicians): Explore the proper recognition, diagnosis, and treatment of myocarditis in children.
Be Alert to Myocarditis in Children: A Guide for Physicians (PDF, 606 KB)
- The Myocarditis Foundation: Learn more about the Myocarditis Foundation, including our mission and what we do to achieve it.
The Myocarditis Foundation (PDF, 130 KB)
- Myocarditis and Sudden Death: Learn the facts about myocarditis and sudden death.
Myocarditis and Sudden Death Fact Sheet (PDF, 117 KB)
Worldwide Myocarditis Events
To raise awareness about myocarditis, the Myocarditis Foundation helps people across the world host and attend events like cookouts, yard sales, walk-a-thons, and much more. We not only advertise these events on our website, but we also provide hosts with educational materials, guest speakers (when available), and poster displays to teach guests about this disease.
On top of these grassroots efforts, the Myocarditis Foundation team also sponsors lectures and conferences that aim to educate the public and healthcare providers about myocarditis. In that past, we have attended a symposium in Marburg, Germany, networking events with the Heart Failure Society of America (HFSA), and many others.
Resources by and for Healthcare Professionals
Healthcare providers make up a large, international network of people driven by a shared goal: caring for patients. To help each other realize this goal, providers often write articles to share their important findings with others. The Myocarditis Foundation has compiled the following selections written by healthcare providers for your quick reference:
- “Myocarditis: Current Trends in Diagnosis and Treatment”
- “Pediatric Viral Myocarditis”
- “Myocarditis: Practice Essentials”
- “Clinical Manifestations and Diagnosis of Myocarditis in Children”
- “Pediatric Myocarditis: Emergency Department Clinical Findings and Diagnostic Evaluation”
- Pediatric Hospital Medicine: Textbook of Inpatient Management
- Recognition and Initial Management of Fulminant Myocarditis
- Diagnosis and Management of Myocarditis in Children
Learn from Dr. Cooper’s Expertise
Dr. Leslie Cooper, one of the co-founders of the Myocarditis Foundation, is an expert in myocarditis care. Not only has the majority of his medical research focused on myocarditis, but he has also edited a textbook called Myocarditis: From Bench to Bedside. This resource covers everything from basic myocarditis research to bedside medicine, including the following chapters:
- Introduction to Clinical Myocarditis – Chapter 11
- Pathology of Human Myocarditis – Chapter 14
- Endomyocardial Biopsy in Myocarditis – Chapter 15
- Treatment of Lymphocytic Myocarditis – Chapter 16
- Idiopathic Giant Cell Myocarditis – Chapter 17
- Cardiac Sarcoidosis – Chapter 18
- The Eosinophil in Cardiac Disease – Chapter 19
- Chagas Heart Disease – Chapter 20
- Childhood Myocarditis and Dilated Cardiomyopathy – Chapter 23
- Outcomes of Mechanical Circulatory Support for Giant Cell Myocarditis
Aside from these feats, Dr. Cooper has also given several talks on myocarditis and endomyocardial biopsy. He also frequently hosts the Myocarditis Foundation’s webinars, answering questions from both providers and patients alike.
Contact Us Today
Without healthcare providers like you, our mission would not be attainable. We hope that our resources can provide you with the heart disease education and support that you need to care for patients with myocarditis. To learn more about our provider and patient resources, contact the Myocarditis Foundation today by calling 281-713-2962.